The AAA Member Rewards Visa Signature credit card offers cardholders competitive benefits as the go-to choice for most purchases.
Though co-branded with American Automobile Association (AAA), you don’t have to be a member of AAA to get a card.
The rewards of 3% on travel and AAA purchases, 2% at grocery stores, gas stations, and drugstores, and 1% for all other eligible net purchases make the card a sensible choice for people who prefer to keep their lives as simple as possible.
The introductory offer of a $75 statement credit after you make at least $500 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening is modest, though the dollar amount to qualify is fairly easy to reach.
A more potentially rewarding feature is the offer of 0% APR for 12 months on balance transfers.
People holding large balances on their current cards at the current average rate of 17.23% APR can save a significant amount of money, even with the 3% balance transfer fee.
- $1,000 at 14.23% means keeping $142.30 in your pocket.
- $5,000 at 14.23% means keeping $711.50 in your pocket.
- $10,000 at 14.23% means keeping $1,423.00 in your pocket.
Once the introductory period expires though, because the APR can jump up to as high as 21.99%, i.e. the monthly payment of interest alone, on a $5,000 transfer, can go from $12.50 to $91.63 per month.
Also note during the introductory period, all transactions and balances, including purchases, will be charged interest.
While saving money helps, paying off the balance in full before the introductory period ends is essential to keep the money in your pocket where it belongs.
A summary of rates, fees, features and benefits follows below.
- Purchases – 0% for 25 days if statement balance is zero
- Purchases – 14.99% to 24.99% if statement balance is greater than zero
- Cash Advances – 17.99% to 26.99%
- Balance Transfers – 14.99% to 24.99% starting on transfer date
- Late payments – 29.99% (for at least 6 months)
- Annual Fee: $0.00
- Fee on balance transfer: 3% ($5 min)
- Cash advance: 3% ($5 min) or 5% at ATM
- Foreign transaction: 0.0%
- Late payment: up to $38
- Returned payment: up to $27
- 1 Member Reward point per dollar on eligible purchases
- 2 Member Reward points per dollar on eligible travel purchase at grocery stores, gas stations or drugstores/pharmacies
- 3 Member Reward points on travel or AAA items
Redeem Member Reward Points
- Minimum to redeem: 2,500 points for air, 3,500 points for gift cards, 5,000 points for cash
- Merchandise such as electronics, fashion, home goods
- Gift cards
- Travel, including airfare, hotels, luggage
- Theft and accidental damage protection, including cell phones
- Return protection within 90 days of purchase
- Free extended warranties (up to 2 years)
- Roadside Assistance Hotline
- Car rental and damage insurance (excludes liability coverage)
- Global Assist Hotline (doesn’t pay for third-party costs)
- Travel accident insurance on common carriers
- Fraud Protection
- Advanced secure chip technology
- Text alerts
Other Card Benefits
- Mobile banking
- Text and/or email alerts on purchases, balances, reminders, etc.
- Free FICO credit score
- Apple Pay
- Entertainment Access for cardholder-only events and places
- Monthly summaries