The American Legion MasterCard issued by USAA bank offers an introductory 0% APR on purchases for the first 12 billing cycles after a new credit card account is opened.
Members who enroll in the MasterCard rewards program get 2,500 bonus points after their first purchase and one point for every dollar in purchases, which can be redeemed online at usaa.com.
Members who enroll in the MasterCard cash rewards option receive a generous 1.25% cash back rebate on almost all their purchases.
The points have no limit on the amount they earn and no expiration date.
Cardholders support what The American Legion represents, because with each eligible purchase, USAA Bank makes a contribution to American Legion programs that focus on veterans’ rights issues and their quality of life.
The American Legion MasterCard features
- No annual fee
- APR as low as 9.90% for people with excellent credit
- No APR penalty
- No minimum interest charge
- No over credit limit fee
- Low 1% foreign transaction fee
- Zero liability for unauthorized charges
- Purchase protections for items lost, stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase
- Grace Period: 25 days
- Annual Fee: $0
- Balance Transfer Fee: 3% (max. $200)
- Cash Advance Fee: 3% (max. $200)
- APR purchase introductory offer: 0% for 12 months
- APR balance transfer introductory offer: 0% for 12 months (3% fee applies)
- APR after introductory period: 9.90% to 25.99%
- APR Balance Transfer after 1st year: 9.90% to 25.99%
- APR Cash Advances: 9.90% to 25.90%
- Fraud Protection: yes
- Warranty Extension: yes
To be eligible for the American Legion MasterCard a person has to be currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the eligible war eras.
Besides the rewards MasterCard, USAA bank offers other choices of an American Express credit card, Visa credit card, Military Affiliate Card, Secured Cards and Rate Advantage Card (6.90% APR but no rewards).
Redeeming the rewards for cash only gives members $1 for every 100 points after 20,000 points. The table below illustrates payouts for under 20,000 points.
|Number of Points Redeemed||Gift Certificate / Card Reward Value|
For travel though, the points can be redeemed at full point value of $1 for every 100 points.
When you apply for the apply for American Legion MasterCard (rewards version) or the American Legion MasterCard (cash rewards version) you will receive one of the three following cards:
- World MasterCard
- Gold MasterCard
- Platinum MasterCard
In addition USAA bank’s Member Community features an intimate and lively forum where members can have their voices heard and questions answered in a friendly manner.